The Social Centers’ Senior Programming helps to keeps East Boston’s elders healthy, active and connected to their community. Whether they participate in an exercise or dance class or attend program activities everyday, the seniors benefit from the companionship and support of their peers and improve the quality of their lives.
Senior Place provides a wide array of social, recreational and supportive opportunities. Activities include social interaction, arts and crafts, a weekly line dancing class, exercise programs, intergenerational activities, trips and special events, volunteer programs and a monthly series of talks on health, safety and nutrition given by guest professional speakers from other agencies.
The Coordinator of Senior Programming is an experienced social worker, with the counseling and human service experiences necessary to provide the professional care that the elderly need. The program operates year round with high attendance.
The overarching goal for Senior Place is to enhance the quality of seniors’ lives and empower seniors by providing information and referral services, directs services, socialization and recreational activities.
- regular social activities, including games and conversation
- supportive visits by seniors to hospitalized or homebound program participants
- arts and crafts projects
- health information talks at least one time per month
- day or overnight field trips when funds are available
- A guest speaker series which hosts monthly speakers on issues important to seniors, including doctors, lawyers speaking on living wills and estate planning, and nursing home representatives
- Anti-crime programs in collaboration with the Boston Police Department and the District Attorney’s Office
- Support and grief counseling, provided informally by fellow program participants and both informally and formally by the Program Director, a licensed Social Worker
- weekly dance and exercise classes
- Special events, including the Piers Park picnic, the Mayors’ picnic, Christmas and Valentine parties, etc.
- Community Service Projects
- Volunteer opportunities
The program operates year-round with varying activities each day. The Senior Place program is offered Monday-Thursday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Social Centers’ main facility at 68 Central Square, East Boston. The facility is fully accessible to elders with mobility challenges. It is convenient to buses and the subway, and parking is available nearby for people who drive their own car.
Contact: Jeanne Spinazola 617-569-3221 ext # 114